marathondan
Some useful links. My London Marathon 2005 diary starts here. The race report is here.
Diary archives: 09/04 10/04 11/04 12/04 01/05 02/05 03/05 04/05 07/05 08/05 01/06
Tuesday, March 29, 2005  

Conquered the 20

RAH! That 20 miles is history. I kicked its arse. I looked it in the eye at 18 miles, legs seizing up, out of water in the blazing er, March, heat, and I said: come and have a go, 20, if you think you’re hard enough.

In fact, I probably just said “urgh”, but it’s true that I got a great deal of satisfaction from going the distance. As usual, the moment I’d finished I completely forgot how hard it had been, and felt great.

Friday had been great weather, and I took myself off to the other side of town, partly checking out the area of a house that we’re hoping to buy (spring is in the air, and a not-so-young man’s fancy turns to house-hunting). This ended up being a very pleasant 9 or so miles, and much less boring than laps of my normal 2.5 mile circuit.

So for the 20 I plotted a similar route, 4 x 4.5 laps right around the town, with a single familiar (and somewhat comforting) 2.5 to finish. The weather was great – some direct sun, definitely vest weather – a few weeks ago I couldn’t imagine being out of long sleeves and tracksters.

I think this run was more manageable than, say, the 18 a couple of weeks ago, because I now know more what to expect. I now know that anytime after an hour or so, strange and new niggles will appear and might not go away. I also know that my whole lower body will begin to gradually and progressively get sore and stiff, and that won’t go away until I stop. I have conquered the creeping aches and pains. The only fear is that something will give way. About half way into the 20, the tendon behind my left knee (anatomists, help?) made itself known – yet another new twinge. I decided that if it got bad I would stop, but it just hung in there at a low level of soreness. I can do sore. I can’t do injury. Or don’t want to have to.

20: sorted. The taper begins!

Comments:
way hay Marathondan-Nice One!!!

I managed 18 on friday interesting that i too had the tendon pain behind my left knee, along with stomach muscle pain and pain in foot. But yeh I expect like you that this is something that you encounter and its how you deal mentally with these eeks and tweeks that is teh important thing.

Not long now Dan....excited...or nervous (think i'm abit of both) :-)


 
Yes I noticed that... bloody great time though, well done! Not much more we can do now, just stay in shape and don't break anything!


 
yup. Up til now had to much on my mind to think about teh race day itself, but starting to now and have a mix of nerves and excitement. this is what we trained for-looking forward to it!


 
Thanks for your article, very useful.

It is soooo tempting to do too much in the last weeks. Although I'm way behind I need to listen to the experts: stay injury free and see it on the day.

Well done on the 20. Major step conquered so you will be fine.


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?